Why it’s important to nurture trust
In November 2018, Pareto Fundraising asked four industry experts to share their knowledge as to what they believe are the biggest issues facing the sector in 2019 and beyond.
Each person was asked to nominate the one area they believe is critical – and what we need to do about it.
In this month’s Pareto Talk we focus on trust.
Trust is the cornerstone of a sustainable relationship with a donor
Decades of research has shown that the level of trust a donor has in an organisation determines whether or not they will give. And determines how much they will give. So small enhancements in trust can have a massive impact on giving.
Here are our 7 top tips that will help you build trust with your donors:
1. Make your mission clear. To be effective your message MUST be simple, powerful and mission centred.
2. Put you donor in the driving seat. Offer your donors communication preferences and choices, plan donor journeys around this information and deliver donor satisfaction consistently.
3. To be truly transparent, you need to be honest. Celebrate your successes and don’t whitewash your failures. Your donors will appreciate it.
4. Inspire rather than persuade. Use storytelling for impact, accountability and reporting back.
5. Have a ‘conversation’ with your donor, rather than talk at them. Give them tools to have a conversation with you – surveys, telephone, mail – which can lead to more generosity.
6. Be wonderful to deal with. Have measurable standards of consistently excellent feedback, transparency, customer support and donor-friendly service.
7. When you make a promise, keep it!